Monday, March 19, 2012

A Big Mess

I did not realize how hard we worked last week until I slept in until 10:00 on both Saturday and Sunday. Usually the hustle and bustle of life outside my window wakes me before 8:00, but I must have been so exhausted I slept through it all.

What have we been doing? EVERYTHING! The new store room is finally ready so we have been moving school supplies in, organizing, and cataloguing them so the new store keeper knows what is in there. This consists of sorting through rooms that have been in total disarray for the past 2 or 3 years.


The old upper storeroom before we attacked it

Today we started to bring all of the clothes from the old store into the new one. The boys swarmed us like vultures, asking for various articles of clothing. It wasn’t easy telling them no, but I am comforted by the fact that I know these clothes will be put to use in the next few months.

One of my main frustrations with the center has been managing donations and other items in the store. I often watched as items, which I knew we had, were bought because no one knew they were in the store. While sorting through various piles of junk, covered in mouse droppings, cobwebs, and dust, Ally and I came across the very same t-shirts our high school donated 3 years ago. This infuriated me to no end, but also validated all of our work. I am certain that once we are through re-organizing and creating our new inventory system, every donation and purchase will be used!


One of the shirts Harwood brought in 2009

TOMS shoes from the Rwanda TOMS drop

A few more TOMS

After day 1 of organizing

WOW!

Ally has posted her take on our storeroom project and has a few more pictures of our progress. Check it out here: http://rwandaally.blogspot.com/2012/03/uncovering-gold.html

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW - What a sense of accomplishment you and Ally will have once the storage room is organized!! Everyone who knows you well knows that you are the queen of organizers Elena - I'm sure both of you are doing a great job! Mom