Saturday, February 4, 2012

To Market We Go!

First of all, my apologies for neglecting my blog. As I’m sure you can imagine, I’m very much enjoying my time with my new partner in crime. Also, the internet connection has been sub-par these past few weeks which makes the simple task of checking your email frustrating.

Anyway, I thought I would talk about the market since it is the place I go most frequently aside from the center. Yesterday I spent 5 hours there. Yes, you read that correctly. You might ask: What could you possibly do at the market for 5 hours? Oh so many things…


Josephine's fabric selections

I have a fabric woman named Josephine. I only buy fabric from her because she gives me the Rwanda price rather than the muzungu price. She hooked me from the first moment I stepped foot in that market in September, just as she hooks every other English-speaker, I’m sure. Her English skills are unparalleled by any other vender and I just simply cannot say no to a woman who refers to me as her sister. 

Ally trying on a traditional shirt


Some fabric I thought about buying
but resisted the temptation

So for 5 hours, Ally and I hung out with Josephine in her fabric stall at the market while we waited for our clothes to be altered by tailors. We chatted with her and her customers, held some adorable babies, got a few marriage proposals and made some new friends with fellow muzungu college students studying abroad in Rwanda. Just another day at the market I guess!

2 comments:

Liz said...

Sounds like a cool day. Those fabrics are beautiful. Do they make the clothes for you from the fabrics right there while you wait?

Elena said...

Usually we buy the fabric and talk to a tailor right there at the market. But we come back after a few days to make alterations and pick it up.